Thursday, August 26, 2010

School has started



Sorry for so long without updates!  I always feel like there's nothing to say, then start writing and realize there's plenty.

The first two weeks of school have gone well for Hayden.  He is even doing ok with the odd schedule change-- the developmental preschool changed from him going every day, to just Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.  I made him a picture schedule, and he hasn't been too out of control.  Work for me has been kind of hectic, but I'm still enjoying it so far, as I love the kids and the crazy things they say. Jason has been busy, but most evenings he's home by 7:15, which is a life saver if Hayden's having a rough night. Jason's getting crumby treatment at work from administration, but what else is new.

Sleep is definitely an issue-- Hayden is still in our bed.  My pregnant brain is too tired by the evening to fight that battle, though I know I should. Potty training is also on hold, as my Mommy instinct can tell that Hayden just isn't ready.  He can't verbalize, or maybe doesn't even yet realize, when he has to go until it's too late.

I went to a TACA (Talk about Curing Autism) meeting last night in Greenwood and learned a lot about Medicaid Disability and other money issues.  There is an all day conference on October 16th that I hope to go to.

I have been trying to stay away from milk and wheat since my allergy results came back (and my allergies to those were sky high), as the nutritionist confirmed that I can pass those reactions on to baby #2.  I have fortunately not been nauseous in several weeks, though the first week of school I was exhausted!  I think I've caught up now and am feeling better. This summer I switched out my shampoo, conditioner, lotion, sunscreen, and toothpaste for healthier versions with no parabens and other yucky chemicals.  I tried switching out my deodorant, but it didn't work, so that got scrapped.  Recent cravings have included 3 weeks straight of eating hot dogs and saurkraut, with no bun, of course, as it contains wheat, and Lucky Charms (which I have to eat with Almond Milk, which is a little odd.)  As with the previous pregnancy, I haven't wanted too many sweets.  I mostly want protein, fruit, and veggies.

We also tried to install an RO unit with the help of my dad, since tap water is so bad for you, but ran into some plumbing problems.  We need to replace the faucet, but ran out of money until next month.  Two of Jason's paychecks in July had 3 weeks between checks instead of the usual two, causing our checking account to become sad and lonely.  Hopefully we'll be caught up in the next two checks and can get a new faucet so the RO will work (and right now we have hot water and not cold in the kitchen sink.)

We got a rather oblique note from our Insurance saying Hayden would be covered as In-Network for the ABA school, which made me really excited since I was told they don't cover ABA.  But, no response from the school despite regular calls and emails, and a parent at TACA last night gave them a poor grade (and scary story), so I'm going to switch tacks and try getting him in to another ABA school. Back to the drawing board on that one, as they say.


Oh-- forgot to mention that we finally got Hayden the official label of Autism a few weeks back. A thousand dollars and several hours of testing later... I also heard at the TACA mtg last night that the  Michigan legislature has changed Autism to a medical label to help with insurance coverage.  Hopefully other states will follow!


On Tuesday we find out if Baby is a boy or girl!! Stay tuned! : )

No comments: