Sunday, November 9, 2014

Fall Updates 2014


Hayden has thrown his glasses at daycare twice so we're holding off on wearing the glasses for now. He had some aggressive behaviors a week ago but since then has had a good week at school. His insurance approved for him to receive home therapy through Cornerstone Autism Center, so we will soon have a therapist coming to our house a few evenings a week to help him.  I am beyond thrilled to have this help for him! Things they might work on include anger management, taking his pills (focusing on the task), doing his homework, learning about big problems vs little problems, and other types of things. I am grateful that this is happening for our family and can't wait to learn new things for Hayden. His case conference meeting was stressful again. I am hopeful that the school and Cornerstone are able to collaborate and work for Hayden's best interest. I will write more when it's all said and done. I think the issues with school are what have kept me from writing recently. Since I'm unable to write about that, and it's my main stress in the land of Autism, I have been at a loss for what else to say here. This post is my attempt to say a few things about everything else in our world right now! Sorry it's not uplifting and inspiring, but at least you know we're still here!  :)

Both kids went to the dentist and had no cavities. It was Rylie's first time and she did well. It was helpful for her to see her brother being very brave. I have a dentist FUA post to write about him if I ever get to it.

I'm trying to add a new supplement for each child from their doctor's recommendations once a week, rather than once a month. We've also taken some things out and adjusted. The kids' biomedical programs seem to be going very well. Joe has benefited from his supplement program and fell asleep last weekend with just essential oils. I've noticed an improvement in how wounds heal thanks to keeping up with my vitamins instead of skipping them as often. :)  Currently we're focusing on Hayden's hyperactive behaviors and focus, and adding some rice flour back into Rylie's diet to see how she handles it. She has done well so far but she's only getting a small amount each week. The purpose really is just that she is always feeling left out because she can't eat what the rest of us are eating, so I'm hoping the addition of rice will allow her to have a lot more food options.

We are working on getting Rylie to stop sucking her thumb. She only does it at nap and bedtime now, but it's affecting her teeth so we want to do what we can. She has a sticker chart and the promise of a 'big girl bike' but progress is slow. She has good intentions in the daylight but once in bed that thumb is in there securely.

We've been working on eating meals together and having family game night when we can. Joe and I are slowly trying to move everything toward being healthier and more sustainable. Some day we'd like to have a large garden plot, bees, chickens... This was our first year with a garden so we'll take baby steps.

Both kids seemed to have grown a foot in the last month, which is great, especially for Rylie! We are looking forward to the holiday season ahead, spending time together and giving thanks for what we have.

And now it's time for pizza and The Walking Dead.  Thanks for reading, have a good night!  :) Sheila

No comments: