Sunday, October 23, 2016

Three Years at Cornerstone

Three years ago I left education to support families living with autism. What an amazing journey it's been so far! And it seems like it can't possibly be three years already. I realized that I'm still teaching and mentoring, but in a different capacity.
There have been parents who couldn't afford diapers; I've shared that diapers are free to kids with a disability, through Medicaid. I learned this from another mom at the center shortly after starting.
There have been families who've struggled to afford therapy. I've shared that they should sign up for the Waiver, which will give them Medicaid, which can help with copays and deductibles. I learned this from working at the center.
There have been parents who asked if they caused their child to have autism. I've explained that they did not, and assured them that they're good parents.
There have been more than a few parents who told me they haven't told their family about their child's autism diagnosis, because it is a taboo in their culture. They would be shunned. I told them I was sorry that they had to experience that, and that they could lean on the other families at the center for support if needed. I've created closed Facebook groups for them to communicate with each other, share ideas and ask for help in a safe environment.
Parents have cried after meetings and hugged me, expressing that they've never received so much (or any) support.
There is so much more. So much. When I started there were about 60 kids at our two centers. There are now around 125 at three centers. The growth has brought more learning, more experiences, more memories.
It has been such a gift to serve others in this capacity, to give back and help others as I was once helped when I was new to this world. I'm so grateful that Cornerstone's owners saw something in me, and saw a need that could be filled. It's been such a blessing to be a part of this company for three years and I look forward to more to come.


Post a Comment