Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What day is it?

Peter Cottontail visited under this tree for a few days.  I think we scared him away throwing too many carrots at him, though.

I am doing the SAME THING every day and I think I'm going crazy!  : )  I get up and drive Hayden to school by 7:30, come home and go back to sleep till noon, eat lunch, call and hassle with insurance/Comcast/whoever else (mostly insurance) or fill out their 10,000 forms, do crochet/fold laundry, make Hayden dinner. Uncle Jeff brings Hayden home around 5:15 and he and I eat dinner and watch Special Agent Oso on Tivo.  [It's funny that this is his new favorite show, because it's great for Autistic kids, showing them how to break a task down into three steps.] Then he gets a bath and all his vitamin supplements, we cuddle or he plays on the computer while I read his teacher's daily note home and respond back. Then he goes to bed, Jason gets home from choir practice around 8:30 and we talk a bit, then we go to bed too.  I'm certainly not complaining, because it is very relaxing, but I never know what day it is, and I'm not sure where the last 4 weeks went! And it's sooo hard for me to walk by that laundry pile and not put it in the washer! Once you become a mom (aka, maid) it's hard to turn it off!

Baby girl seems to be doing well. I'm at 31 weeks, and with every week I feel better about her chances of being healthy if she comes early. The medicine is still making me really sleepy (hence all the naps) but it seems to be controlling the contractions.  I had light contractions all day last Tuesday and thought I'd be going to the hospital in the night, but they never got close enough together, and went away by the next day, so that was a relief.  The glucose test last week was good, but the blood test showed low iron, so I started an iron pill. My next appointment for another fibronectin test is Thursday the 18th.  The baby's heart rate is still really good, and she is moving well.  



Hayden says we should name her "baby." He likes to put his head against my belly and give the baby hugs.  He rubs his hand on my belly button and says, "Aww!  She's sleeping!  She's a giant baby!" He has been really sweet, initiating this interaction himself, so I think he'll do really well when she comes.  We are really emphasizing the big brother/good helper idea.


He is doing so well at his autism school, too, and we're really proud of him. The teachers there are awesome--  a note the other day said, "Hayden had a great day...  he had several tantrums but they were much less intense..."  I love that those two sentences don't really go together, but for him it shows real progress and his teachers totally get that.  They want him to start wearing underwear tomorrow with potty training (instead of pull-ups) to see how he does.  So exciting!  I would love for him to be out of diapers by January.  I am thinking of using cloth, at least part of the time, with the baby girl. Don't tell Jason!  : )  The cloth diapers have come a long way, and there are some great brands out there with snaps and pockets so you can add extra padding.  I really like the idea of paying less for diapers, and having less chemicals on baby's bum all the time. I read that one of the chemicals used in diapers is the same chemical banned from tampons because of Toxic Shock Syndrome.  Eek.


Hayden was super smart and sneaky one day last week at Cornerstone, and got himself in a bit of trouble.  He likes to take a small toy in his hand each day to school, to help him with the transition from home to school.  When he gets to Cornerstone he has to leave it in his cubicle area, so that he doesn't lose it/throw it/hit someone with it while on the trampoline/play with it rather than doing his lesson, etc. He has free time every 10 minutes and can choose to go play with the toy if he wants. Sounds fair to me.  So one morning last week before we left the house, he said, "Hey! I think I'll put this right here. In my pocket," and he put his toy robot Sparks in his pants pocket.  I thought at the time that it was rather smart of him to do that, because he never really realizes he has pockets or that he could use them to hold things.  I also didn't know about the "toys only in the cubicle" rule.  So about halfway through his day at Cornerstone, he was in the bathroom and asked if he could hold Sparks.  His teacher said, "what's Sparks?"  And he got it out of his pocket.  The teacher nicely said he would have to put it in his cubicle to play with there, and took it from him.  He had a big tantrum about it, and was still mad when he got on the daycare bus.  The Cornerstone teachers told the daycare Director Amy (who drives the bus) the story and that Sparks was in his backpack.  So as Hayden kept having his fit on the bus, Amy said, "Sparks is in your backpack. He's coming back to Rainbow with us."  And immediately the tantrum stopped.  I'm pretty impressed that he had the foresight to know that his toy would be taken from him, but if he put it in his pocket he could carry it around all day and no one would know. Little stinker! This morning he kept telling us, "I not take! I not take!" Maybe he was remembering the Sparks incident?


I started the process of warning Hayden that a big family gathering will be at our house soon for Thanksgiving, that lots of family would be over and we'd have a party and eat lots of food.  Instead of getting nervous like he usually does, he said, "a party? Where are the presents? Let's see what's inside."  Well, not that kind of party, little buddy. : )  I told him Santa would bring presents later for Christmas, but he got scared about Santa being in his house. "No, it's not. Not today!"  Well, at least Thanksgiving didn't upset him. We'll just have to work on Santa. Today I asked him again who was coming for the Thanksgiving party, and he said, "Santa?"  Well, no, remember, we're just going to eat food and have family over, like grandma and grandpa.  "Yeah, Hayden's birthday."  Hmmm...  maybe we shouldn't have talked about Thanksgiving and Christmas in the same conversation. 


Jason's been stressed with all his choir activities coming up, plus having to do all the chores around the house.  I think he should try to do less at work, but who asked me?  : )  


Bill is coming from DC Sunday, and it's also Bob's birthday and a birthday party for Hayden's friend Alex. We are hosting Thanksgiving at our house again this year (Jason's idea, so I'm not doing any work!) and then travelling to Ohio for Gram's 90th birthday party Friday.  If they let me travel, I haven't asked yet. If not, I'll stay home with Bill and play video games. : )


When Mommy gives the bath, Hayden and I play "purple toad". We've played it since he was tiny. When he gets out of the bath he immediately curls up on his tummy in the fetal position because he's cold. He looks like a little toad.  So I throw a towel over him and sing a made-up song, "purple toad, purple toad... purple toad in my bathroom... Ribbit!"  When I say "ribbit" I tickle him somewhere and he giggles, then we sing it again. The word purple might be different depending on the towel color; we just started the game with a purple towel the week we made it up, so it's what he calls the game when he asks for it. It's one of the few songs we're allowed to sing (there's still no singing allowed in our house, for the most part.)  So the other night I came in to the bedroom and saw him curled up like a toad on the bed (though he's sideways instead of his usual face-down) with three blankets in his little toad pile.  So cute!  I love my little toad!


Tonight he's sleeping in his full Mario costume (with hat).  : )
Post a Comment