Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ah, the things we learn at daycare...

This evening, after telling Hayden for the 3rd time not to jump on the couch while I tried to eat dinner, I heard for the first time, "no, be quiet Mommy." Thank you, day care. At least it wasn't "shut up" yet. And secretly, I thought it was a little bit funny. But I gave it my best frown and "we don't say that."

Hayden chose not to eat dinner this evening. I did get him to eat a muffin. Some days it seems like he wants to eat everything in the house, and some days I can't seem to get him to eat anything. Today was the latter, no matter what I offered. I've learned after 3 years not to just make him something, because I always end up throwing it out, and I can't afford to keep doing that.

He did ask for chocolate, now that I think of it, but when I told him he had to eat cheese or yogurt or [insert 5 other things I offered] first, he shrugged and walked away. I decided to start giving him whole milk instead of 1%, in hopes that he'll gain a bit of weight. He's right at the edge of being underweight, since 2 of the 4 foods he'll eat have little protein. (In case you're interested, that would be cheese pizza, mac n cheese, chicken patty, or fish sticks. Heaven help you if you offer the wrong brand or type of these items, such as mac n cheese animal shapes instead of the noodles, or real chicken instead of processed. "Not the SAME!!!" he'll scream, and refuse to eat it.) He can taste that the whole milk is different, so I'm hoping that mixing it with the 1% will work.

Tonight's non-stop Mommy & Hayden Club activities, all chosen by Hayden, I might add, have included: sledding at the park (he got snow on his face and almost had a breakdown), Mario Kart (I race while he holds a second controller and thinks he's racing; and I have to be WaLuigi), afore-mentioned dinner/couch jumping, robot building (aka legos), tickle monster, about 3 seconds of Thomas, Connect 4 and trivial pursuit (we just play with the pieces), and running around the couch and jumping, at which time I announced I was tired of running and it was time for the Last Show. Daddy's got choir tonight so I'm skipping the battle of the bath. Shh-- don't tell! : )

The "last show" is our way of transitioning to bedtime. Tonight he chose Blue's Room Snacktime. Usually he'll actually sit and watch the show, but he's currently trying out one toy per 30 seconds, throwing it down to get a new toy, while running around the room and saying "polkadots!" Gotta love the energy level. After this he'll get 2 books, a big long hug, and it'll be bed time. I can't wait until summer, when I can take him to the park every day to run off this energy! Everybody think warm thoughts...
: )


Post a Comment