Thursday, February 10, 2011

Introducing Rylie Noelle



Apologies for not posting sooner, but our new little princess doesn't believe in sleep. : )

Rylie Noelle is finally here and we have been blessed with a beautiful little girl.

The surgery was originally scheduled for 7:30 am, and we were supposed to arrive at the hospital at 6.  But I was called the Friday before and asked if we could come in at 5 am for a 7 am surgery, meaning we'd need to leave the house at 4:30.  Sure, we'd love to.

They gave me a spinal for the surgery but it didn't work very well and I was in a lot of pain.  The anesthesiologist finally asked the doctor, "What do you think?" The doctor asked me if I wanted to be put asleep, and I started crying because I was grateful that the pain would stop!  So I didn't get to meet Rylie until later, but Jason was there and said once I was asleep everything went really fast.  When I woke up it took a few minutes for the nurses to bring Rylie in because she was in the Special Care nursery for her breathing.  They finally brought her in and gave her a bath in the room next to me so I could watch.  I noticed that her ears were sticking to the sides of her head, but unfortunately for her they've been drifting out a bit in true Damron style.  : )



By the next day her breathing had gotten much better.  The doctor was worried about her heart murmur, so on Wednesday she got an ultrasound on her heart. That came back normal, as did her newborn screen.  All the nurses commented on how pretty she was.  Yesterday at Target at least 5 complete strangers stopped me to tell me how beautiful she is. Lucky little girl!  She is a wiggle worm, as my mom says, never really sitting still, and she makes all kinds of squeeks and squawks and noises constantly, even in her sleep.  She doesn't really cry, though. Even when she's hungry and I don't get there fast enough, she just gives one little yell and waits patiently for me to come rescue her.  I've tried using Hayden's hair gel to keep her hair flat, but it only lasted 15 minutes before it spiked right back up again. When we wash it, it's curly, so maybe that is why it can't seem to lay flat.

My biggest worry before Rylie's birth was how Hayden would handle a week away from Mommy and Daddy.  We originally had an elaborate plan for grandparents and Uncle Jeff to watch him overnight, with a 5 page instruction sheet on his morning and evening routines and how to make his meals and give him his 17 supplements a day.  I was losing sleep over the whole thing, and asked another mom of an Autistic child how she had handled the situation when she had her second child. She said they had Daddy go home with him each night, and had little presents for grandparents to give at home.  I realized that this was the way to go, and was so grateful for the ideas!  Since I would just be sleeping at night, and in fact was woken up for meds/nursing in the night, Jason actually got more sleep by going home, Hayden got to keep his evening routine more of the same, and Mommy had peace of mind that her other child was not as stressed by the change.  Much thanks to the grandparents and Uncle Jeff for picking Hayden up from daycare and bringing him to see us in the hospital!  He enjoyed his visits and presents from Rylie. And of course thanks to Daddy for driving all over the south side of Indy in a snow storm to make the plan work.  The first day it took him over two hours to get from Mooresville to Greenwood to Danville!

I really liked the nurses at Hendricks Regional Hospital in Danville, and had a much more positive visit there than with Hayden in Martinsville.  My recovery was also much faster with the second C-section. I was able to get out of bed and shower sooner, and stop taking the pain meds sooner as well.


Two weeks from Rylie's birth, she and I attended a three day seminar at Hayden's school about Verbal Behavior from 4 to 8 each evening.  The center director and clinical director were very accommodating, providing a room where I could nurse Rylie in private, with video feed so I could watch the speaker from there and not miss anything.  Rylie was pretty well behaved, with the exception of spitting up a good two ounces all over me Wednesday so that it looked like I wet my pants. : )  I am really glad I decided to attend the seminar, as I learned some better ways of addressing and correcting Hayden's behaviors, teaching him new skills, and interacting with him.

     
Lately Hayden has been taking pictures with our camera.

The nutritionist suggested we do an Organic Acid urine test on Hayden to see if he had yeast overgrowth in his gut, as many Autistic kids do.  We got the results back just before Rylie was born, and it showed that he has off-the-charts yeast overgrowth.  I got him into the pediatrician last week so that she could prescribe an anti-fungal. She warned that it could damage his liver, so to be watchful for signs.  It seems to be working well, though, and Jason and I think his language skills have improved over the last week, with him using more complex sentences. We also got Hayden's monthly report yesterday from Cornerstone, and he has mastered many skills, including some pre-reading skills, putting on his socks and shoes, and many social skills with his peers.  I can't express how grateful I am for that school and his great therapists, Michelle, Bekah, and Shanae! (in that order in the picture below:)


Jason and Hayden were home all last week because of the ice storm, so Jason has been working a lot this week trying to catch up. : (  Is it too early for me to look forward to the summer when he'll be home?  Rylie slept really well the past two nights, so here's hoping that continues. She's growing and still a really sweet baby.  Hayden says "she's so cute! She has spiky hair. It's soft. She's a girl."  He also sometimes says, "she's not in the tummy anymore. Not at the hospital anymore." Hayden thinks she's cute, and likes to sit by her, but otherwise he's more concerned with getting lots of hugs from Mommy each night.  I've spent my evenings this week with a kid under each arm and a controller in each hand because Hayden wants me to play Wii whether I'm nursing or not. Overall things are going well with the transition to a family of four!


Post a Comment