Thursday, February 24, 2011

Somebody make some coffee...

...because I'm goin' back to work tomorrow.

Ugh.  I know, I know.  I should be glad I have a job in this economy. I should be glad it makes more than my previous job.  I am, and I am. But who wants to leave their 6 week old baby at day care?  And all the preparations! And I ironed some pants for the second time this decade. (Ironing is for the birds!)  I got all Rylie's stuff ready for daycare, and have been trying to explain to her that the bottle of part breastmilk and part formula tastes really good, but she's not convinced. By the smell of that formula, I don't blame her. Ick.



I had intended to take maybe one more week off, but I was called and told that the department of education changed their minds about my grant. Instead of it ending in 2012, it will end in September of 2011.  Then I'll have to find another job.  Jason was more frustrated than me when he found out. I should have been more annoyed:  I've had 15 jobs in the last 10 years. Let's count:  After student teaching, my first job in 2001 was detention supervisor at a high school. Then they asked me to be the assistant technology coordinator.  We moved to Avon the next year and I subbed. Then I got the job as the computer/writing teacher at an elementary school. When the grant for that ran out, I subbed again. Then I got a maternity leave job at Jason's school. When that teacher came back I was Jason's choir secretary for a year, and led an after school drug prevention program with the YMCA.  Then I was hired at Greenfield high school for a 'real' teaching job. I was there 2 years but left after Hayden was born because it was an hour drive each way (and... maybe I didn't get along with the administration...)  : )  I couldn't find anything and took a job at a home decor warehouse. That was terrible and I lasted 2 months... Took a temp job at an insurance company. They said they were too slow and let me go right at Thanksgiving. My mom was working at Ladoga Academy for girls, and helped me get hired to teach social studies there. I lasted 8 months at that prison, which was eventually shut down by the state, and ended up being the sole witness against the administration in a hearing for educational neglect.  Rough couple of days, me against the world, telling the truth because no one else would. My mom came with me for moral support. Let's see... then I was hired by Perry Township as the computer aide. After the first year they let me switch to a really awesome school where I was for a full year, plus this fall until October 15th, the day of the accident. This job I really liked. In all the jobs I always like the kids, it's the adults I can't seem to take.  So yeah, I think all that adds up to 15.  I'm tired of looking for jobs, interviewing, meeting new coworkers and finding the rest rooms.  I just want to have my own classroom and teach some kids about the world!  Is that so much to ask?  I graduated with honors for gosh sakes!!  : )

It's a sorry state for education right now. There are so many great teachers who can't find jobs, because there are no jobs, and most people give up after a few years. The simple solution is to make class sizes smaller. You would need so many more teachers, which would give people jobs, thus boosting the economy.  But instead they are firing teachers.  Sigh. One school I heard on the news will have 60 kids in each high school class! Although, I guess that's what Jason already does every day, after they decided not to hire a second choir director for him, and just combine the choirs.



I had my 6 week appointment at the OB today, and I'm telling you that God didn't want me there on time for some reason.  Rylie and I were set to leave in time to be 10 minutes early.  Just as we're ready to leave she decides she needs to eat again, though she just ate. Then once we get out and we're driving, I end up behind a woman in a mini-van who is driving 5 miles per hour.  Actually I'm not sure how fast she was going, because my speedometer didn't even register, that's how slow we were going. And I couldn't pass her because she was driving in both lanes, right in the middle of the road. When I finally got around her, I looked expecting to see an elderly person. Nope, just a woman texting on her phone!  So then we get behind another van going 5 under the speed limit. No big deal really, unless you're in a hurry, and then it's plain annoying.  I get around them, and I get behind a dump truck full of dirt going 15 in a 30.  At this point I was like, "what the heck? With my luck there will be a train."  Guess what?  Yep, train. So I had to turn around and go down to the next road over and back down, maybe another 4 or 5 minutes out of my way.  I was probably 12 minutes late.  So yes, whatever my guardian angels wanted me to avoid on my way there, thanks because it definitely worked.  : )

Tonight when I was asking Hayden what he wanted for dinner, he said, "oh, I just, Hayden and Shanae."  I think he was zoned out and thought I was asking what he did at school today! Later when I asked him to use the potty before bed, he said, "I can't. I too little. And scared. And sad too." I said, "What do you mean?" "Oh, and... I'm trying to fly." He had his blanket behind him like a super hero cape. Nice try buddy! Anything else you can think of?


I need to feed Rylie and get to bed.  I will try to update soon on how the new job goes! : )

No comments: