Sunday, April 11, 2010

When milk-free cheese isn't really milk-free...


Well, folks, this is why my head was spinning when I left Whole Foods a few weeks ago. I had written "Galaxy brand non-milk cheese" on my list in order to try and make Hayden some pizza, his favorite food. I looked in the cheese aisle, but they didn't have it, so I asked an employee. She said they kept it with the dairy items. Go figure. She showed me where to find it, and I looked at the package:



My list of "safe" products told me to buy Galaxy brand Rice cheese. Package says soy free, Lactose free. Check. I didn't read the back until I talked Jason into helping me make pizza yesterday:

Second ingredient? Casein. What's Hayden on? Gluten-free, casein-free diet. Grr. So Jason and I each tried a corner of it, and then I threw it away. It tastes like absolutely nothing. A chalky nothing. I looked in the fridge at the American cheese slices I'd bought him (which he didn't like and I'll probably be throwing away, too.) They are the same brand:



Instead of just "Rice," they're "Rice Vegan." And they have no casein. Ahhh. So apparently I need to find the "Rice Vegan Mozzerella cheese".

Here's a pic of the cheese we tried. The back was weird, but the front looked like normal cheese.




Hayden and I have had an upper respiratory infection for a week. I've been wiped out, but he's been basically his usual self but not as hungry. He's had a harder time sleeping than me, because I've been sleeping on propped up pillows, and he refuses to. The cough is definitely lessening, though, so that's good. The doctor said it could take up to two weeks for it to go away, and that it's viral, so we can't take much for it.

I finally got out in the yard and did some weeding today, and Jason's mowing. Then we'll be going to Meijer on the hunt for something Hayden can eat. I am going to try to make the muffins again, and cut up the blueberries so they're smaller. And I'm going to add a bit of extra sugar. ; ) He's been eating lots of the spaghetti, and I checked the ingredients and they're fine. So that's a small success!



Mr. Man out and about

Hope you're enjoying the beautiful weather today!

: ) Sheila





Post a Comment