Sunday, October 17, 2010

Car Accident and Trip to Hospital

Hayden and I were in a slight accident Friday morning, but everyone is ok now and resting at home.  


I was driving Hayden to school Friday morning as usual.  I take Mann road, which is a curvy and hilly back road.  All of a sudden I looked up and headlights were staring at me in my lane. If I hadn't seen him and swerved we would have been hit head on, and who knows what would have happened.  Luckily I swerved and we swiped mirrors, and I went into a ditch on the right. It was a huge ditch so when I got the car stopped my door was against a dirt wall, pinned closed.  Our car was at a 45 degree angle.  I wasn't sure how preggo was going to climb out!  As soon as we stopped, Hayden said, "what happened?"  I don't remember what I told him!  I was trying so hard to look calm and tell him everything was ok. He kept asking what happened, and said "the car got broke!" Later he said, "we go boom!"  But he wasn't visibly upset, which was my biggest worry at that point.  When we got out later he "Car needs new tires!" (they were a bit muddy). I think he said that because Lightning McQueen needs new tires in the movie after his accident.

The guy who hit me came back and asked if I was ok, and helped me climb out the driver door.  I had to go out feet first because my belly was too heavy and big to lift over the window.  I called the police and Jason to come pick us up.  The police were glad we had our seatbelts on. Hayden wanted to get in the police car.  While we waited he played in my car with all the buttons on the dash, turning the lights and wipers on and off.

The police called a tow truck and the driver was able (after 10 attempts and the guy pushing the car from the back) to drive it out the ditch and up the hill, but I think he cracked the bumper in the process by backing up too far into the ditch wall.) 

I drove Jason to work and Hayden to Cornerstone, then called my OB. The nurse took a message and then called me back, and said the OB wanted me to check into the hospital for a couple of hours for observation.  At this point I wasn't feeling any contractions, just shock.  I drove to her hospital in Danville (where I'll eventually deliver) and checked myself in.  They put me and baby on the monitor and I tried to rest.  After about an hour and a half the nurses said I was in early labor and having small contractions.  They gave me a shot every 20 minutes to calm the uterus and try to stop the contractions.  By 2 the weekend doctor on call from my OB office said I'd definitely be staying over night. She said it was likely the fear that caused the early labor, but if I continued to have contractions it could mean the placenta was damaged.  I got a steroid shot for the baby, in case she came early, to help strengthen her lungs.  I asked what would happen if we couldn't stop the contractions and she came early (I'm at 26 1/2 weeks).  They said she'd be more likely to have cerebral palsy and blindness, and would not be able to breathe without machines for a long time because her lungs aren't ready. 

Jeff drove Jason and Hayden to come see me Friday, since I had Jason's car and we weren't sure if my car was drivable. (It looks ok except the mirror, but the ditch probably did a number on the bottom of the car.) I should have been really tired Friday night, but just couldn't get the accident out of my head to sleep, so they gave me a sleeping pill.  In the night I had to have the nurse help me unplug the IV each time I needed to use the restroom, and in the morning she told me that one of the times I was in there a while, so she poked her head in to see if I was ok.  I was just standing there at the sink. I said, "Yeah, I washed my hands, and now I don't know what to do next...  oh, yeah, dry them."  : )  The shock plus the sleeping pill made me a bit out of it, I guess!

I had more contractions in the evening and night, and got two more shots that night.  In the morning the contractions had finally stopped, and I felt much better.  The doctor on call came to see me again and said they would start me on a procardia pill that I would take every 12 hours to continue to calm the uterus (it's actually a blood pressure medicine that someone discovered also helps with this.)  The procardia can make you very dizzy, and give you a constant headache.  She said if I could get up and take a shower ok without fainting, they'd let me go home around 5 as long as there weren't more contractions.  Jeff dropped Jason off at the hospital (I might mention Jason had his soccer sectional game that morning, and they won the championship.  Grandma and Grandpa came and watched Hayden all day so that Jason could do soccer and then come see me.)  : )  Jason visited with me for a few hours, then I took a shower and napped, then they gave me another steroid shot and we went home.   I'm supposed to take it easy for at least a week -- no chores or grocery shopping or lifting, but I don't have to stay in the bed the whole time.  I'm to make an appointment with the OB for this week so she can see if I can come off the procardia.  It was giving me an awful headache yesterday, but today not as much (plus I hadn't had my morning coffee yesterday, so the caffeine could have been part of the problem).  This morning I am still feeling pretty good, and I'm feeling baby move, though I'm still quite tired.

I am so grateful that things look ok at this point, that Hayden didn't get scared during the accident, and that I was awake enough on a Friday morning to swerve out of that guy's way! (Someone in front of him was going 20 in a 45, and he decided to pass them in a double yellow zone. He didn't see me until we were about 20 feet apart as he came over the hill.)  Oh, and he did have insurance, so that is paying for any car problems plus all my medical bills!  Thank goodness for that, although I'm sure it will be a big hassle. Now I just have to take it easy (hard for me!) so that contractions don't start again.  They said they'd be harder to stop if I started them in my sleep and they got closer together before I made it to the hospital.

So, that's the whole long story.  Hayden and I are going to cuddle on the couch now and watch Wall-E and eat chocolate muffins. : )  With extra time on my hands this week, I'll try to update my blog and let you know how things are going.
Post a Comment