Saturday, February 2, 2013

Welcome To Supplement Land



The supplements on the stove in the above picture are ones that need to be kept cold, so they're usually in the fridge. They came out of the Tundra for the picture. : )



Friends from another cabinet who were absent on picture day.



Tools of the trade. I try to keep these guys organized, like they are in the first picture. But usually they end up all haphazard like this.



The stickers above are great for labeling food. They dissolve in water so you don't have to worry about removing them before you wash the dish. 



Since Rylie is so little, I give her only a portion of the above supplements in her juice. This means I only use 1/3 or 1/4 of the capsule. I put the capsule back together and save it for the next time, since the supplements are so expensive. They each have their own container to live in so I know what they are, since the two on the right look very similar.


 I have a cup I keep in Supplement Land for the empty capsules, so I don't have to run to the trash after each one. I empty this each day. 


For vitamin A, which comes in a dropper, the dose is too large for Rylie. I use 1T of filtered water and 1 drop of Vitamin A. Then I use 1tsp a day of this mixture as her daily vitamin A dose, essentially dividing that drop of A into 3 doses. I make enough for several days and keep it in a glass container with a lid.


Vitamin D, grapefruit seed extract, and vitamin K also come in a dropper.


The majority of the supplements come in pill form, but I still get several in powder form since Rylie is too little to swallow pills. Vitamin C is one that I use for her in powdered form.



For the kids' medicines I use a syringe. Unless they are sick or have some type of yeast or bacteria issue, the only "medicine" they take on a regular basis is allergy medicine (generic Zyrtec), though some of their vitamins are prescription rather than OTC. 



My own supplements, since people often ask what I take. I keep these in a different cabinet.  I also take D, A, probiotics, enzymes, magnesium (my best friend!), grapefruit seed extract and yeast aid sometimes, and colostrum if I'm feeling sick. Melatonin is a must each night to help me fall asleep. I've always been one whose head hits the pillow at night and all the thoughts and worries won't stop swirling. Melatonin turns those off within half an hour so I can get to sleep. Hayden and Rylie haven't shown a need for it so I don't use it with them, except sometimes on holidays when they are ramped up and can't get to sleep on their own.

Hayden takes 8 supplements at school each day. This helps me greatly to try and get all of these into him each day.

For a while I was printing this sheet for each day and using a pen to check items off. Last week I decided to try putting the page in a plastic sheet protector and writing on it with a dry erase marker. You can see this in the first picture above. This way I only have to reprint the sheet when there are changes rather than every day.


More information:

Our Supplement Sheet  Or, "It's all worth it because... it's working."

(Including the video in which Hayden explainswhy he doesn't like to "take pills all day long")

Our Kids ASD is a great site for purchasing supplements










Nourishing Hope for Autism has some good videos to help you learn the science behind the nutrition-Autism link.  I highly recommend her book, as well





Supplements aren't regulated or tested. Many include heavy metals, mold, and common allergens. This is why it's important to purchase a brand that does thorough testing for contaminants







(Insert my usual reminder to make sure you are giving supplements under the direction of a dietitian or doctor. I can't say this enough times. Some supplements interfere with each other, or are dangerous at certain levels. It's important to consult with someone who specializes in nutrition, preferably a licensed dietitian who is familiar with the nutritional needs of people with Autism. :)


No comments: