Friday, January 4, 2013

Our Supplement Sheet

Recent visits to Dr. Hulseman (and blood test results) for both kids resulted in changes (i.e., additions) to their daily supplement intake.  


Rylie's test result notes:

Inline image 1


Hayden's visit notes:  


I paid $63 for new supplements at this visit.  I intend to do a blog post on the cost of Autism at some point.  Here's one of the pages from my check out, so you can see the prices.  Note the last line on the page.





The new Supplement Sheet I created today.  It still needs some tweaks, like changing the powdered amounts of magnesium to pill form, but I don't think you'll notice.  : )  Each checkbox on the sheet represents one dose of each item that my child should get daily. Hayden is on the left, Rylie is on the right. 



But, it's all worth it because... it's working.  Dr. Hulseman has her patients complete an ATEC (Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist) before each appointment to gauge their progress. I was pleasantly surprised to get his result this time: 50. I think his last score was an 83. You can see what the scores mean here and here.  If you have a child with autism and would like to complete the form, the link is here. What a huge jump for my little guy!  He usually jumps between 10 and 20 points at his 6 month visits, so a jump of 33 is really exciting. Toward the end of our appointment Dr. Hulseman even said, "I might be imagining it, but even as little as I see him I can see a difference. He really has improved."

I'm so excited for him to be in the ATEC < 50 Category! The above website's summary of this category:  'This places the child in the 30th percentile level. The child has good chances of being semi-independent. More importantly, he or she will not likely need to be placed in an institution. For many parents of autistic children, being able to achieve improvement up to this level is already considered very significant.'

At another point in our conversation Dr. Hulseman said, "We really need to shift the paradigm of thinking about Autism as a genetic disease and instead understanding that there are things we can do to change it." 

I hope Hayden can be an example to others that Autism is not forever.




I know, I still owe you the Christmas pics post.  Working on it!  
: )  Sheila

Post a Comment