Sunday, January 20, 2013

There are only two ways to live your life...




One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is.
                                      Albert Einstein


Today my children are with their dad for his weekend. Hayden had a rough week. He caught a stomach bug, and couldn't get over it. I took him to the ER Wednesday night for fluids because he was severely dehydrated. He is getting stronger each day and recovering. Rylie seemed to have the illness and fought through it, not eating much, but also not vomiting. I had it for a day and simply didn't feel well, then slept the next day, and am rejuvenated today. I am wondering if Hayden has issues with Clostridia, as his Autism doctor suggested. She was out last week with the flu, so I will message her through the My Chart system and see what she thinks. When Hayden refused to watch his favorite show, I knew there was a problem.

This is how pitiful he was:




It has been such a bad week. The first two nights he was sick, Hayden was up every hour or half hour. I've been sleep deprived all week, and scared for him. Today I was dreading getting up and doing all my weekend chores, but then realized that I have tomorrow off, so today is essentially Saturday and I haven't lost any time. (So of course that meant I had some time to post some pics here for you!) ;)  And as I've been cleaning this morning, I came across a bag of things from my last job. One was the above quote that I had on my desk. And I realized once again how blessed I am.

The miracle I hold on to is that I get to have these children in my life. Despite how much work they are, despite how often they're sick, they are beautiful, and happy, and kind. I have two special needs children, but they are a gift to me and I consider them my greatest accomplishment so far. When they are very sick as Hayden was this week, I appreciate them so much more. I can't wait to see them today and play whatever they want. I'm thinking of taking them on some type of excursion tomorrow if Hayden is up to it.

Here are some pictures for you.

Rylie decided she wanted to wear my hat, and the sparkly shoes Grandma got for her birthday.






At Rylie's 2nd Birthday party, she wanted Grandpa to hold all her babies and dogs for her.





Rylie's SCD Birthday cake.  
(Applesauce Cake with Whipped Honey icing.  Recipe here  Everyone seemed to like it.)





Rylie's pixie haircut:
I got tired of Rylie looking like a hooligan. She doesn't like barrettes or hair ties in her hair. Since the top was longer than the underneath, I decided to just trim it so it was even. I took these pictures right after cutting it, so her hair curls a bit since it's still wet. Normally it looks like a bob haircut, I'll have to get some more pics of it. 












Happy Birthday to my fierce little girl with the crazy hair.  


Tomorrow is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a holiday in the US where we honor a man who fought for human rights for all. Sometimes it's easy for me to be thankful for the day off, and not for the reason. I hope his words can encourage us to continue to fight to help all those who cannot help themselves, including minorities and the disabled.  


I believe that even amid today's mortar bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow. I believe that wounded justice, lying prostrate on the blood-flowing streets of our nations, can be lifted from this dust of shame to reign supreme among the children of men. I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignityequality and freedom for their spirits. I believe that what self-centered men have torn down men other-centered can build up.     
                                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

The best index to a person's character is
How he treats people who can't do him any good 
And how he treats people who can't fight back.
                                               
                                                Abigail Van Buren




Post a Comment