Sunday, March 31, 2013

SCD / Paleo Lunch Ideas


Ham and white beans, frozen peas, broccoli with hummus.


Pot roast and carrots from the crock pot, and grapes.


Crock pot chicken, shredded, refried beans, frozen strawberries.


Tried a new scrambled egg recipe: added a little bit of salsa. She didn't seem too impressed. Sliced apples, sugar snap peas.


 
Chicken sausage (tried a new brand. She didn't like it much), mixed fruit, 15 bean soup (cooked as soup then drained.)


SCD Chicken fingers (recipe here; I left out the cheese. These were really good.), carrot sticks, frozen peaches

Hamburger with pizza sauce, black beans, frozen peaches.


SCD Chili, baked squash with honey, stir-fry veggies. I don't think she liked any of these. :)  But I'm sharing in hopes that your kids love chili and would be willing to try it.


Notes:

These are photos of the lunches I send for 2-year-old daughter Rylie each day. I try to send a meat, a fruit, and a vegetable, but some mornings I run out of time and have to improvise. :)  Since my daughter has many food allergies and a feeding disorder (difficulty chewing crunchy food), I'm even further limited in what I can put in her meals. Often I include two things I know she likes and one that she has never tried. 

Since she's in daycare her teachers can warm up her food for her each day. I send paper plates for that purpose so they don't use plastic or Styrofoam.

I use frozen or fresh fruits and veggies because canned nearly always have added sugar.

How I make the pot roast: 



2 lbs stew meat
1 jar salsa (I use fresh salsa)
salt, pepper, garlic, onion, parsley
1/2 cup of beef broth or veggie broth:

 I use what I need from the container then freeze the rest in ziploc bags in 1 cup or 1/2 cup servings. Then when I need some broth I just dump it frozen onto the meat as you see in the above picture. Before I started doing this I was wasting the remainder of the container because I didn't use it soon enough.

I let the meat cook several hours on low or overnight, until the salsa completely cooks down to nothing and leaves the meat flavorful and tender.  I scoop the meat out with a slotted spoon and put it in a container, leaving the good juices in the crock pot. Then add whatever veggies I want and let them cook 2 or three more hours. I do it this way because I like my meat really tender, but I don't like the veggies mushy. This way the veggies still get the benefit of being cooked in the juices but aren't over-cooked.


Rylie likes carrots and green beans. I like green beans, potatoes, some diced tomatoes, and zucchini. I add  the potatoes for myself and just don't give them to Rylie since they're not SCD-legal. In fact I really only give her the carrots, beans, and meat since that's all she likes at the moment, and I eat the other veggies.

This is the second round of photos on this topic.   The first is here


Post a Comment